· The deadline to register to vote for the November General Election is October 15.
· The deadline to apply for a ballot by mail is 5 p.m. on Tuesday, October 30.
· In-person absentee voting is available Monday through Friday during regular general registrar office hours, and on Saturday, October 27 and Saturday, November 3.
· The deadline to vote absentee in-person is Saturday, November 3.
· The deadline for a general registrar to receive an absentee ballot by mail is by 7 p.m. on Election Day, November 6.
To be eligible to register to vote in Virginia a person must:
- Be a resident of Virginia (A person who has come to Virginia for temporary purposes and intends to return to another state is not considered a resident for voting purposes)
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Be 18 years old (Any person who is 17 years old and will be eighteen years of age at the next general election shall be permitted to register in advance and also vote in any intervening primary or special election.)
- Not be registered and plan to vote in another state
- Not currently declared mentally incompetent by a court of law
- If convicted of a felony, your right to vote must have been restored
Online Voter Registration
Apply online to register to vote or update your current registration. You can also download the Virginia Voter Registration Application (PDF).
Did You Know
- If you have moved since you last voted, you need to register at your current address to assure your vote will count.
- It's a good idea for everyone to check their registration status. Just to be sure, call the Registrar's Office at 540-967-3427
- If you need to register or update your registration download the Virginia Voter Registration Application (PDF).
- Check your polling place online.