About Sheriff Lowe
Sheriff Donald A. Lowe was elected to office and began his term January 1, 2020.
Sheriff Donald (Donnie) Lowe is the second of three generations of law enforcement officers that have served the citizens of Louisa County, and has more than three decades of law enforcement experience.
Donnie Lowe moved to Louisa County in 1976 and has been active in public service ever since, beginning with volunteering as a member of the Mineral Volunteer Rescue Squad, obtaining the position of Captain and Cardiac Technician - Advanced Life Support along with several other qualifications and instructor certifications.
Work in Law Enforcement
Sheriff Lowe started his law enforcement career as a deputy in 1987 at the Louisa County Sheriff’s Office after serving as the Coordinator of Security Systems at the North Anna Nuclear Power Station. Deputy Donnie Lowe was later transferred and assigned to the Narcotics Task Force (NTF). During his time as a task force officer he was recognized by the United States Customs Service for his outstanding efforts in the investigation of a Jamaican multi-million-dollar international drug smuggling operation that was active in several different states along the east coast. During his career Donnie Lowe has worked on many high-profile cases including, investigations of murder, rape, drugs, gangs, fraud and many more.
In 1999 Donnie Lowe was asked by the newly elected Sheriff, Ashland Fortune, to be Chief Deputy of the Louisa County Sheriff’s Office. While working alongside Sheriff Fortune, Donnie Lowe was instrumental in bringing the Louisa County Sheriff’s Office into the 21st century by developing the department’s technology program, including bringing in car cameras, mobile data terminals, and body cameras to the deputies.
Donnie Lowe’s innovative forward-thinking leadership style was instrumental in helping develop programs for cultural diversity, standards in training, and accountability. Donnie Lowe has also worked hard in the development of a high level of trust and great working relationships with all Virginia public safety and local government partners.
Sheriff Lowe serves on several law enforcement, public, non-profit and educational committees including:
- Safe School Task Force
- School Health Advisory Board
- Louisa County Animal Rescue Team (LCART – Director)
- Louisa County Animal Rescue Alliance - Chairman
- Evan Adams Memorial Children’s Benefit - Chairman
- Blue Knights Law Enforcement Motorcycle Club – Director
- Louisa County Sheriff’s Office Foundation - Ad-Hoc Member (No Voting Rights)
- Crisis Intervention Training Certification
- Virginia Gang Investigator Specialist
- Drug Investigation Narcotics TFO
- Investigative Round Table on Organized Crime
- Law Enforcement in the Marine Environment
- Covert Electronic and Technical Surveillance
- Speaker at the Conference of Violent Crime
- Certified Surveillance Tech