Captain Jack Poindexter is assigned as the Captain in charge of the Patrol
Division, with assistance by Lieutenant Patrick Sheridan and Lieutenant Roy
McGehee, in day to day operations. Being the most observed division, the Patrol
division is normally the first responders of the Louisa County Sheriff's Office.
Communications receives calls for service or assistance and dispatches deputies
to a wide variety of calls, for either known or unknown emergencies and the
division that responds to those calls is the Patrol Division. The responsibilities
of the Patrol Division are:
- Protect the lives and property of the residents of Louisa County and
all visitors within the jurisdiction of Louisa County, to improve and enhance
the quality of life of all citizens and insure peace and tranquility within
our neighborhoods and our commercial areas.
- Actively patrol the roads and streets of the county to prevent and detect
all violators of the ordinances of the County of Louisa, along with the
statutes of the Commonwealth of Virginia and the United States of America.
- Identify and enforce all traffic laws.
- Respond and investigate traffic crashes.
- Respond and investigate all calls for service.
- Identify and investigate all suspicious activity observed and reported.
- Continue to use personal contact with the citizens and visitor of Louisa
County to reduce crime and accidents.
- Provide Mutual aid when possible to surrounding counties and jurisdictions.
- Serve criminal warrants.
- K-9 units.
- Marine units.
- School Resource Officer.
- Child Seat Inspection.
- Learn and Win Program and continue to promote involvement of children in crime prevention and awareness.
- Utilize random check points for sobriety, seatbelt and traffic enforcement.
- To create public awareness of the hazards of drinking, using drugs and driving under the influence of alcohol.
If you observe or are aware of any illegal or questionable activity in Louisa County, you can contact and report it, by calling the Louisa County Sheriff's Office at 540-967-1234.