Office of the Sheriff
1 Woolfolk Ave
PO Box 504
Louisa, VA 23093
Louisa County Sheriff's Office
The men and women of the Louisa Sheriff's Office will strive, at all times, to
provide for the peace and security of all residents and visitors to Louisa
County. We will fairly and impartially enforce all of the laws of the United
States, the Commonwealth of Virginia, and the ordinances of Louisa County
over which we have jurisdiction.
We will assist and aid any other law enforcement agency in areas of mutual
interest, and we will assist other emergency services agencies to protect
the lives and property of our citizens and visitors.
At all times, while dealing with our law-abiding citizens, we will remain
courteous and helpful. Whether by telephone or in person, we will attempt
to assist people by taking action or giving referrals to the proper authorities
We will treat all people with respect without regard to race, sex, creed,
Louisa Sheriff's Office
Ashland D. Fortune, Sheriff
Sheriff Louisa County Sheriff's Office
The Sheriff, full time deputies and detectives, part time deputies, auxiliary
sheriff's deputies, Emergency Communications Officers, and administrative personnel
all work together to answer various calls for services throughout Louisa County:
- Supervises the County's enhanced 911 system, which dispatches deputies,
other police agencies, fire and rescue units 24 hours a day, seven days
- Responsible for enforcement of criminal and traffic laws and various
- Responsible for courtroom security of the Louisa Circuit Court, Louisa
General District Court, and Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court.
- Service and execution of criminal warrants, civil warrants, subpoenas,
detention orders, writs, garnishments, travel orders for prisoner transports,
and any other documents or orders as may be issued by the various Courts.
- Responds to traffic accidents, alarms, and other situations that may involve
citizen safety and protection of property.
- Provides, equips, and maintains a Special Response Team (S.R.T.) to
support with any high risk operations that require special skills and are
out of the scope of normal patrol or investigative functions. The unit conducts
operations for high-risk search warrants, felony arrest warrants on known
dangerous subjects, operations in large drug trafficking areas, and barricaded
subject or hostage incidents.
- Maintains a Marine Patrol Unit to provide additional security through
police presence and support law enforcement responsibilities to citizens
living near or utilizing areas with water access.
- Provides a full time officer to participate in Joint Task Force to specialize
in combined investigation and enforcement of drug related activities in
Louisa and surrounding jurisdictions.
- Assigns School Resource Officer(s) and L.A.W.(Learn & Win Program) Officer(s)
to public schools to provide additional security, drug awareness education,
and develop positive relationships with youth of Louisa County.
- Responds to citizen requests for services that are not law enforcement
- Participates in numerous crime prevention and public awareness/education
programs, including L.A.W.(Learn & Win), Breakfast Buddies and Neighborhood
- Provides a Certified Firearms Instructor who assists in ensuring that
citizens who apply for concealed weapons permits receive proper training
in handling and use of firearms, as mandated by law.
- Maintains certified canine units who respond to law enforcement calls
for service and search/rescue missions as may be needed in Louisa County
and surrounding jurisdictions which may request assistance.
- Provides police-related dispatch and 911 functions to the Town of Louisa
- Responsible for dispatch and supervision of Animal Control Officers
for Louisa County.
- Provides an officer to be a member of the ICAC (Internet Crimes Against
Children) task force which proactively investigates any internet based crimes
that may be committed concerning children within Louisa County.
- Maintains a Gang Intelligence Unit within the department, which continually
collects and distributes information received on gangs, gang members, and
terrorists organizations that may be operating in Louisa County.
- The Sheriff is responsible for county budget categories listed as follows:
- Sheriff - Law Enforcement
- Sheriff - Courts
- Communication Center
- Animal Control